Wednesday 2 November 2011

Home made pasta - 3 ways - literature....

On Sunday night after the lantern festival I went for tea in my dad's house, he cooked fresh pasta ravioli with a mushroom filling. He made me very jealous when he produced his ravioli cutter from Lakeland's which made perfectly shaped and securely sealed ravioli parcels.
By the way if he ever asks where is pasta rolling machine is I haven't seen it...

I have never made pasta and I love a challenge.
I made the dough on the kitchen surface by mixing plain flour, I didn't have the 00 flour, but I think I will definitely have to get some of this for next time as the tagliatelli style worked but the parcels were a bit too thick. I then added 3 full large free range eggs and 1 egg yolk. I mixed this with my hands and added 1 tbsp of olive oil, sea salt and cracked black pepper. I think it is pretty easy to see if you need to add more liquid as the consistency can seem lumpy and difficult to get into a dough.
I got the mixture in a doughball shape and needed like I was a mamma back in Sicily. Sleeves rolled up and hair tucked into grips. I needed for about 10 minutes until the dough felt smooth.
Then in the fridge for 30 minutes to get shiny!

Then I got my "mamma" on and rolled as if my life depended on it, I wanted the dough to be thin but not so delicate to get holes in once I stuffed it.

I decided to do tagliatelli, I did the old coat hanger trick and left it to dry for a few minutes. Then I did square ravioli parcels stuffed with red onion, balsamic vinegar, a tsp of dark treacle (could have used a touch more) and goats cheese all cooked in a frying pan and left to cool. The last pasta was the tortellini style which was stuffed with oyster and chesnut mushrooms and chopped rocket again cooked first and left to cool before I stuffed the parcels.

I wanted to serve my mum, jess and me all at the same time so this was a little frantic. I had three saucepans with boiling water, rocksalt and a touch of olive oil ready for the pasta. On the last ring I had cooked some broad beans in olive oil, butter, garlic, mountain oregano and feta cheese and at the last minute a squeeze of lemon juice.
I cooked the pasta for a few minutes, the tagliatelli was the quickest so I drained and popped into the frying pan for a few seconds with the broad bean mixture.
The parcels took slightly longer.
Garnish the ravioli with a chunk of goats cheese and black pepper, then the tortellini with lancashire cheddar cheese grated on top.
We each had a taste of the plates and enjoyed with a cool glass of chardonnay!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment