Friday 26 August 2011

Fresh bhaji and chapati's from scratch!


I love chapatis as an alternative to naan bread or poppadoms, chapatis are Indian flatbread so perfect for soaking up sauces or filling with rice and curries. These were quick and easy to make, I followed the instructions on the packet of chapati flour!
First put two cups of the flour into a bowl and make a well in the middle pour in enough water to make a dough and a touch of salt, I added tumeric and cumin to my mixture but I suppose you can leave them plain or add your own spices to make it even more tasty.
Knead the dough until it is smooth, here is where you should break into 8 even small balls, but as this was my first time I teared off pieces of the dough as I went making my chapati's un even in size.
I used a heavy based shallow pan, an indian recipe would suggest a skillet for cooking the flatbread so if you have one great if not a heavy pan worked for me. Grease the pan lightly, use a paper towel dipped in oil and cover the base of the pan.
Roll out your balls of dough and try to make a round shape to fit the base of your pan. Cook both sides of the chapati until you get little brown spots this shows they are done!
Enjoy!

For the onion bhajis I again followed the recipe on the back of the gram flour packet but added a few little extras!
I began by mixing thinly sliced onions, chopped spinach, fresh diced ginger, 35g of gram flour and spices; ground ginger, tumeric and cumin. You can add chopped chilli, curry powder also if you are after a kick in the taste buds! Add a pinch of salt and enough water to make a thick batter. I found the batter to be sticky and stretchy so if yours looks like that then its ok!
Heat sunflower oil in a wok enough to go up about 1" on the pan.
Drop tablespoons of the mixture into the hot oil and watch, spin these as they cook so every side is cooked. I made a mistake of not cooking them long enough, so maybe turn the heat right up on the oil or just have more patience than me!

Make a raita to add to these south indian nibbles by chopping up cucumber and coriander, mix in some plain yoghurt, lemon juice and a touch of salt.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment