Friday 26 August 2011

The Quorn Challenge.


Its that moment when you really fantasise about delicious casseroles, its raining outside and you are looking for a big comforting dish of wonderfulness.
I challenged myself to see if I could get the same rich texture and look of a beef casserole but using Quorn. I use quorn in my dishes but not very often, I have never eaten meat so I don't crave meat nor do I need it as a substitute. If you have ever bought packets of quorn, in this case the chicken style pieces, the pictures on the outside are not very creative and in my opinion not very tasty looking.

I began by making a base, I fried off the quorn pieces in a little oil and some flour, I wanted to coat the pieces as they coat the beef pieces. I then put a sliced onion, chopped butternut squash, sliced red peppers and garlic into the pan. I left these on a low heat for 30 seconds. I added half a tin of tomatoes and 250ml of red wine. I always believe in adding a little more of something if you want, so if you would like more tomatoes, go for it!
To this mixture I added 1/4 teaspoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 1/4 of a chopped chilli, a dash of tumeric and a stock cube. Plenty of salt and pepper to finish and leave to simmer for 40 minutes on a low heat.

I finished this casserole off with grated manchego cheese and it was delicious!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment