Saturday 27 August 2011

Jamie's Italian in Liverpool


When I eat out I like to have choice, I like to have a plethora of dishes to nibble and enjoy. On Thursday I had a girly evening out with my sister, we dined at Jamie's and ordered the polenta, the mushroom fritti, burrata (which was delicious with sliced chillies), stuffed courgette flower (the sauce with this was seriously lacking in flavour could have had more punch with chillies or smoked paprika), Italian breads which were divine and a gorgonzola and pear salad with chicory.

This style of tapas, mediterranean eating is my favourite, lots of delicious fresh bread, tasty olive oil for dipping and good cheese with a bottle of merlot is the perfect end to a busy working day.

The chunks of polenta here are fried to perfection, although I think they need a dipping sauce I used the garlic dip from the mushroom fritti. I am inspired to try using polenta in my cooking this week, I have seen Jamie use it in many of his Italian dishes.
Polenta is a ground maize that comes in two different styles, the traditional way is to cook it in a pot for over an hour or the instant polenta which you can buy for easier preparation.

The burrata was amazing, I am real fan of mozzarella cheese, but only the decent milky and creamy variety, any other cheaper version is a waste of valuable jaw muscles. Supermarket mozzarella in packet is mostly tasteless and reserved only for a chewy topping on a pizza. To have a deli version of mozzarella is what it should be creamy, soft and delicious.

" It is a semi-soft cheese. Due to its high moisture content, it is traditionally served the day it is made,[4] but can be kept in brine for up to a week,[5] or longer when sold in vacuum-sealed packages. Low-moisture mozzarella can keep refrigerated for up to a month,[6] though some pre-shredded low-moisture mozzarella is sold with a shelf life of up to 6 months.[7] Mozzarella of several kinds are also used for most types of pizza and several pasta dishes, such as lasagna, or served with sliced tomatoes and basil in Insalata caprese. "
Wikipedia.

Sorry I digressed, I just wanted to show the difference between fresh deli mozzarella and supermarket mozzarella.
Back to the burrata, it starts off with mozzarella but is mixed with cream, then pulled and stretched and shaped to whatever is desired. This was delicious in Jamie's as it was dressed with fresh chilli and olive oil. Perfect for dipping the Italian breads in.

Finally we finished with chocolate, cherry and butterscotch ice cream with fresh honeycomb.
Scrumptious!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. So you had a positive experience at Jamies? I reviewed this place over a year ago and absolutely slated it... Perhaps I need a revisit?

    I'll keep you posted when it's done :)

    Sincerely,
    Craig.
    2guys1restaurant.

    ReplyDelete