Monday 15 August 2011

Tuesday afternoon deliciousness.

No soup is complete with croutons. On a rainy Tuesday afternoon we sit down to enjoy a delicious soup of sweet potato and tomato soup with chunky croutons and pumpkin seeds lightly fried in a drop of olive  oil and black pepper. 

The soup was a perfect lunchtime meal. It was rich in flavour, bright in colour and smelled wonderful. I made this chunky soup by frying off two small red onions, in a little olive oil and some balsamic vinegar. I added a chopped butternut squash and a sweet potato peeled and chopped into chunks. I had a small bunch of lemon thyme with a cotton round it to keep it together and placed this, a tin of chopped tomatoes and half a packet of passata in with a jug of vegetable stock. I wanted a little something else so I added some italian dried pasta swirls, I wanted it to have a rustic minestrone texture, this can be your choice if you would like to add the pasta or not. The soup was meant to be thick but if you want it less so, add more stock. 

The final touch to this lunchtime feast in a bowl was grated gruyere cheese. I must say I am a huge fan of this sweet and rich cheese, it can be used on a variety of dishes such as pasta (my open mushroom lasagne was amazing as it had a three cheese sauce with the gruyere being prominent in the taste. More to come on this...) a luxury cheese on toast would be amazing with a home made red-onion relish and chunky wholemeal bread.
Enough about my new cheese love.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment