Tuesday 16 August 2011

Sweet, sweet potato!


Sweet potatoes have only been in my life for about 2 years and now I can't live without them, this complex carbohydrate completes my dishes.
I have made a simple sweet potato mash by boiling chunky sweet potatoes and mashed them down with butter and black pepper. The key to a good mashed potato of any kind is to keep it soft and without lumps, you can add paprika, dried herbs, pesto or chilli flakes to make your mashed potato full of flavour and exciting to the taste buds.
To accompany the potato I have made a spiced tomato and vegetarian sausage dish. I have fried off one red onion and two cloves of garlic. I placed 6 vegetarian sausages into the heavy based pan and seasoned with paprika and dried chilli flakes, to this I added a tin of chopped tomatoes and let this all simmer for 15-20 mins. (This is dependent on whether your sausages were frozen or not)
For the courgette salad, I sliced up two courgettes and put them in a bowl with chopped sundried tomatoes, chopped rocket, torn fresh basil and chopped fresh lemon thyme. I made a dressing of fresh lemon juice, olive oil, a drop of white wine vinegar and salt and pepper.

I dished up the sausage and tomatoes from the pan first and then made small sweet potato shapes by turning two table spoons together to make them into oval shapes, then served some of the courgette salad on the side.

Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment